The new analysis from Frost & Sullivan, "European Lab-on-chip and Microfluidics Market", finds that the market earned revenues of about $666.3 million in 2008 and estimates this to reach about $1.62 billion in 2015, as this market is in the early growth stage with tremendous potential for growth.
Nevertheless in order to stay ahead with respect to other competing markets and actors (i.e. USA, Japan, China, etc) it is required that fully integrated and cost-effective solutions are developed out of collaborative and open innovation efforts covering all aspects of the innovation value chain.
In such a context ML2 aims to:
- Design and develop a novel and highly cost-effective and versatile production platform based in the concept of roll-to-roll printing for an innovative and integrated Lab-on-Chip systems.
- The design and development of a fully functional and integrated Lab-on-Chip microfluidic and detection system that will combine existing market solutions nowadays only present separately enhancing therefore the performance and multi-parametric-sensing capabilities (i.e. electronic, optic, integration of multiple bioactive components etc).
- Define and execute realistic test case experiments and scenarios that will demonstrate the detection capabilities (pathogen detection, point of case diagnostics, disease diagnostics, etc) and open the path to full commercialisation of the system.
The completion of ML2 will have substantial impacts with respect to:
- The competitiveness and market–oriented innovation of all consortium partners in the field of bio-detection systems (especially for the SMEs involved in the project).
- The potential that the newly developed technology will bring with respect to job creation (preliminary estimations show a total potential of 2000 in the period between 3-5 years after the project conclusion).
- The advantageous competitive position that the partners will acquire during and after the project realisation and finalisation (i.e. market access, IP advantage, etc).
The consortium of ML2 is integrated by fully recognized partners in the area of Micro and Nano Bio-Systems with a right-balanced combination of Academia, Research Establishment and Industry (especially SMEs) and fully capable to address collectively all relevant aspects of the innovation value chain.
The future applications that the ML2 developed technology will be especially relevant for the fields of health-care diagnostics and therapeutics, early detection and prevention of disease and pathogen detection in the food market. Nevertheless the versatility of the technology will allow expecting early applications in the field of genetic modifications and personalised medicine.
The ML2 project aims at developing a design and production platform for new generation MNBS. The developed systems combine electronics, microfluidics and optics in combination with chemically and biologically functionalised elements. The method to be developed leads to autonomously operating systems, based on advanced combination of materials and bio-technologies in highly integrated devices.
- The results of ML2 are expected to cause the breakthrough for lab-on-chip systems, driven by European companies for broad range of applications due to an integrated design and an economic production platform.
- The developed systems will improve MNBS for health, medical and pharmaceuticals environment and food quality assurance.
Within the project, a production line will be set-up and project results will exploitable in the last stage of the project already.
ML² addresses the target outcomes "Micro-Nano Bio Systems (MNBS)" of the objective "ICT-2011.3.2 Smart components and smart systems integration" by the development of novel generation MNBS based on MultiLayer-MicroLabs which will be smaller, perform better, and faster and cheaper, while still delivering highly reproducible results, exhibiting increased sensitivity and being extremely, and proven, reliable.